Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Make Your Own Liquid Laundry Detergent!


Make your own laundry soap by following this quick and easy process. You'll soon wonder why you never did it before! My husband and I have been married for almost 3 years and I've been making my own laundry detergent ever since.

Please read all instructions before starting your detergent making adventure!

What you'll need:
-A bottle of body wash. I use a men's body wash, comes in a fairly large bottle.
-A large pot you won't use for cooking food, use only for soap making.
-Borax
-Super Washing Soda, this is NOT the same as baking soda. You should be able to find this right near the borax in the laundry aisle of your grocery.
-1/4 cup measuring cup, use only for soap making
-Large spoon, use only for soap making
-Large container (I have used a 1/2 gallon milk jug before, currently I am using a laundry jug with a spout on it that I got from someone else.
-Tablespoon measuring spoon, use only for soap making

Instructions
Pour the soap into the pan. Fill the same soap container to the top with water and pour that into the pan as well. Place pan on stove and turn on heat to medium low. Don't let it boil. You want it to simmer slightly. Measure out a little less than 1/4 cup of each borax and washing soda. Add both to the pan. Stir using the spoon. You want the borax and washing soda to dissolve completely. Continue to heat on the stove until you can't feel the grittyness when you stir. Turn off heat and let cool to room temperature.
Pour the detergent into the large container. On wash day, use no more than 1 TBS per load of laundry. You don't want to see suds in your front loader!
You may be thinking that these instructions are way different than you've ever seen and they are. I haven't been able to find a "recipe" like this one yet and I truly believe it's the fastest, easiest, and less complicated than all the others you will find! Once you try it, please let me know how it works for you!
Tip: The Borax and washing soda can clump if you just store them in the open box. I saved two large Sunny D containers and put the borax in one and the washing soda in another. Label them correctly, the look a lot alike!

1 comment:

Lee said...

We love this stuff. I don't really have the room to store the liquid formula so I keep mine in powder form. But we still love it. We've been using it about 15 months and I'd never go back.