Saturday, May 7, 2011

Faithfulness, Obedience, and God's Call

Most of you know that I work with my Dad two days a week, delivering Little Debbies to area stores. I got to take a couple of weeks off because in March I babysat my cousin's twins. They're three and full of energy! Wow! I love them so much and they were so good for me too! (I didn't take much from them and knew that, they were testing their limits the first couple of days) Anyway, the week or so before I started babysitting, the Lord told me (not in an audible voice) that Jamie would offer me a babysitting job and I was NOT suppose to take it. I thought "OK, why would she offer me a babysitting job though?" A week after I started babysitting guess what. Jamie said "the girls will be starting preschool next school year and I want to give my Mom a break, so I would need a babysitter and you're the first person I would hire."
So what do I do after she tells me? I got really excited! I wanted to watch the girls so bad, they were so much fun and lively and I loved doing all the preschool things that you do when you babysit three year olds.
Then conviction came. "Liz....remember what i told you." I did remember...i just didn't want to...
When the Lord convicts my heart, it's really really hard not to ignore it.
So, I had to call Jamie and tell her that I can't babysit. That was hard and easy at the same time. I think I made her mad and confused. "Why would someone rather deliver little debbies than babysit two three year olds?"

"But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise."

I had to tell my parents the same thing. I have no idea how many times my parents must think "she's crazy." That makes me just want to dance and say "Praise the Lord, Praise the Lord!" Not in a proud way but, in a boasting in the Lord way. My Dad still thinks I should babysit the twins because I "...would make more money." If money were the issue and it's not: I only charge $40 a day to babysit the twins and it would only be a half day so $20 times 5 days is $100. When I work with my Dad, I make $80 in two days. I would only be making $20 more by babysitting the twins.

Praise the Lord, I know without a doubt that God is using me to minister to my Dad. This is why I'm not suppose to babysit the twins. A couple of weeks ago (before Easter) my Dad started talking about Lent (my parents are Catholic) while we were riding in his Little Debbie truck. He said he was looking at the little card on their fridge with details about Lent. The card said something about checking with your diocese for the rules. My Dad told me "so that means that these are just rules that are made up by the church." I'm an avid seat belt user and when I heard these words come out of my Dad's mouth, I about fell out of the seat. I told him that's exactly what that means and that the word of God says that "Your traditions nullify the word of God." He reacted with "It does?" Praise God!
I went home and tore through my Bible and found scripture verses to help him start asking more questions. I sent him an email that weekend with more scripture verses. I just have to keep praying that this permeates his heart and that I can answer his questions with the Word because the Word is sharper than a two edged sword. That's what will truly get him saved.
In March, I went with a group from our church down to our sister church in PA to a conference. The Lord let me know that because I have faithful with little, he will entrust me with authority over much [Luke 19:17]. That gives me so much hope, oh so much hope for things to come!  Praise the Lord! Oh Praise God!

No comments: